See You Next Tuesday (Anita Hill)

See You Next Tuesday is the Boomstick's first regular themed column. It features the week's most laughable idiots and scumbags for your reading pleasure.

In honor of the upcoming midterm elections, this week's See You Next Tuesdays are bipartisan:

From the Right: Ginni Thomas and her bizarre, belated phone call to Anita Hill.  The basic backstory is this: when Clarence Thomas was nominated to the Supreme Court, a woman named Anita Hill came forward and testified that Thomas had sexually harassed her.  Thomas' nomination was approved anyway, and despite some embarassing stories involving a Coke can, no one has really thought about this story since it happened in 1991.  Fast forward nineteen years, and Thomas' wife calls Anita Hill at 7:30 in the morning asking for an apology?

Above the Law had some great theories on what Thomas was thinking.  But the real news story is just how un-newsworthy this whole event is.  To give you some context for how old this vendetta is, I made you a time-capsule of what was relevant back when Anita Hill was. (Collages are so 1991.)

From the Left: NPR fired journalist Juan Williams over the kind of totally unalarming (if uncouth) generalization that every single person makes every day.  The full text of the shocking statement, via Politico (where you can watch the video):

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot,” Williams said on the "The O'Reilly Factor" Monday. “But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Williams' comment on The O'Reilly Factor may have been politically incorrect, but it wasn't totally shocking.  Critics of NPR are pointing out that Nina Totenberg (who has my dream job) publicly wished a political opponent and his grandchildren would contract AIDS, and wasn't disciplined.  But hypocrisy and partisanship are not reasons why NPR won today's See You Next Tuesday.  It's because NPR is being a total pansy about it.

NPR justified Wiliams' firing by saying, "we don't allow our journalists to voice personal opinions."  But what they meant is, "we're a progressive news source and don't approve of our journalists pandering to conservative talk show hosts by making unpopular, vaguely racist statements.  Plus we really thought we signed up for someone way more diversity-conscious and touchy-feely when we hired a Panamanian-Brooklynite-philosophy-major."  (See, that's exactly the kind of un-alarming generalization I was talking about!)

Immediately, Fox News offered Juan Williams a 2 million dollar contract to work for them not a shabby bump up from public radio.  The Daily Show, of course, put it best, saying that NPR challenging Fox News was like "bringing a tote bag full of David Sedaris books to a knife fight."  That it is, Jon, that it is.  See you next Tuesday!

ehart
October 26, 2010 at 1:28 PM delete

Whichever side of the fence you are on, I think it's safe to say it's consistent with NPR's policy of cutting back on words that they fired Williams. See this July article on abbrevs ("Do we really want to have the president of the United States introduced to joint sessions of Congress as POTUS?") [To which I say, all law graduates are pretty used to SCOTUS, which sounds even worse]http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul/12/opinion/la-ed-names-20100712

Justin
October 26, 2010 at 1:29 PM delete

Nice job on the collage. To state the least, NPR has not looked that credible after firing Juan for his comments. NPR's hypocrisy is so thick that one could wrap himself/herself in it to stay warm. Instead of David Sedaris books, I'd say it's more like a bag full of warm sticks of butter.

Alison Lee
October 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM delete

Ehart: great point. My favorite new company abbreve is Yellow Pages going by "YP." Dear YP, you may think you're hip and relevant, but I have four phone books mildewing on my porch that say otherwise.

Justin: A tote bag full of butter sounds delicious.

October 26, 2010 at 1:53 PM delete

Justin, dude. Warm sticks of butter? No one was implying that the NPR fight avatar was going to strike Fox News with the tote of books. But now that you've brought it up, why not just put that hypocrisy blanket in the bag (if it will fit, apparently it's pretty thick)? I bet that whoever wraps himself/herself in that keeps himself/herself super warm. I bet if he/she attacked someone with that thick blanket he/she could smother him/her/other. Wouldn't that be awesome?!

Preston
October 26, 2010 at 3:20 PM delete

If you call in with your pledge in the next half hour, John, tell them what they'll get.

Thanks, Bill, they'll get this lovely tote bag full of (your choice) David Sedaris short stories or delicious Land O' Lakes Creamy Unsalted Butter, AND, if you donate at or above the $100 mark, you'll get BOTH tote bags, and you get this LOVELY hypocrisy blanket. Great for those cold nights when you're listening to great programming like My Word, Fresh Air, or Prairie Home Companion, while reading David Sedaris short stories and eating butter.

I had night just like that last night, John.

You most certainly did, Bill.

Brad
October 26, 2010 at 6:02 PM delete

Shoot, I looked in the tote bag and all I saw was my own disappointment. I feel like Peter Pan at the banquet dinner in Hook. Do I have to believe before I see what's in it, because I'm gonna be severely disappointed if it turns out to be a lewd, crude, rude, bag of pre-chewed food dude.