Indie Band Frontman or Serial Killer?

This weekend Andrew and I watched Saturday Night Live because we were home on a Saturday night at 11:30 pm for, like, the first time in seven years. (We are extraordinarily popular and awesome, if you hadn't noticed.)  The musical guest was Arcade Fire, a Canadian indie rock band that I really like.  But apparently I've never seen the band in person, because when they took the stage on SNL, I was completely shocked at how much their frontman looked like a serial killer.

Like, seriously?

Just try to tell me that guy doesn't have ladies chained up in his basement.  So, out of morbid curiosity, I started looking up some other indie rock bands on Arcade Fire's "Merge Records" label.  Then I started looking up serial killers.  And what I found was so disturbing and hilarious that I decided to make it a game for you guys called....

Indie Rock Band Frontman or Serial Killer?!?!:
(Scroll down for answers)

Answers!!!

1) Why that's Stephin Merritt, lead singer for The Magnetic Fields! Shockingly NOT a serial killer!

2) Of course that's Jeff Mangum, lead singer of Neutral Milk Hotel. He's wearing that hat and flannel as an ironic gesture, not because he's going to drag children from a birthday party into the woods and shove them in a wood chipper like they're Steve Buschemi in Fargo

3) Uh oh, this grainy black and white picture is not the product of a sweet new iPhoto filter...it's actually Ted Bundy, notorious serial killer!

4) Don't worry, that's just Isaac Brock from Modest Mouse!

5) Rad 80s tees = total back-album-cover material?  Nope, that's Erick and Lyle Menendez, total serial killers!

6) That bearded fellow looks like he's concentrating on the Prosecutor's opening statement, but he's actually Ben Bridwell from Band of Horses, who is definitely not a serial killer!

Hope you had fun!

(And just a note to anyone who was going to be a dick, not all the bands are on the "Merge" label, and I know that because I am smart.  But that's how I got started.)

Brad
November 18, 2010 at 9:35 AM delete

Damn, 5/6. Missed the last one. Stupid grizzly adams/joaquin phoenix-looking jerk screwing up my perfect score.

Emily
November 18, 2010 at 9:38 AM delete

I voted serial killer for all of them.

E
November 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM delete

This is my favorite post ever! I feel that in all honesty, Ted Bundy is the only one who doesn't look like a serial killer. I guess that was how he charmed (er, tricked) the ladies though...

ps I think I'm going to start modeling my life after you guys and stay in frequently on the weekends.

Brian
November 18, 2010 at 7:02 PM delete

5/6 I don't think I will ever listen to Magnetic Fields because of that picture. Do I get bonus points because I actually knew who 4 and 6 were, or does that make me a huge loser?

Alison Lee
November 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM delete

Brian, it doesn't make you a loser, but it may make you a serial killer. Luckily, I think Emily will still hang out with you. And yeah, E, it's disconcerting how good looking Ted Bundy was. I guess people should've been tipped off by how much he knew about crime...Oh shit, Brian you're scaring me.

Brian
November 18, 2010 at 10:41 PM delete

haha wait, is that a backhand compliment about my good looks?? Even though you think I may be a serial killer, I will take it!

JennyD
November 22, 2010 at 11:28 PM delete

Win Butler is actually disappointingly normal-looking when he has a reasonable haircut: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21513926@N05/5187168251/in/photostream/

December 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM delete