Poll: Do You Actually Love Love Actually?

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post called "Is Black Swan a Chick Flick?" where I examined the bizarre gender divide underlying Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan.  In my review, I asserted that though it's  a "chick flick," many guys liked Love Actually.  In response, I received the following email:
Although usually I am an avid supporter of every word that you speak, I have to lodge a formal complaint related to the statement in one of your more recent blogs related to Black Swan that Love Actually is a "girl movie" that boys "like." I would vaguely consider pulling out one of my back molars with the not-actually-usable-pliers on my Swiss Army pocket knife rather than watch that film or anything like it.
If you have an example of someone who is a boy/male/man who GENUINELY enjoys this movie I will withdraw this formal complaint. Until then I will be organizing rallies and other forms of picketing activities, and will work tirelessly to ensure that somehow federal taxpayer dollars fund it.
I will also be continuing my usual activities of keeping a daily chart of how many people blow through the red light in front of Maggiano's outside of my office window, which is quite similar to my daily compulsive habit of tracking the "ums" said by [law school professor redacted]. I think I have a problem, either that or I am a savant.
Anxious in Atlanta

So, was I wrong about Love Actually?  If you're a dude who likes Love Actually, or you know a dude who likes Love Actually, let me know.

create a free poll on pollsb.com

meghan
March 6, 2011 at 1:41 PM delete

I know a certain dude who will remain nameless *cough cough* who watched Love Actually on our first date together and admitted to enjoying it and certain chick flicks. No names mentioned, though.

Emily
March 7, 2011 at 9:37 AM delete

I'm not a dude (I'm a lady!) and I HATE LOVE ACTUALLY WITH A BURNING PASSION!

xoxo
Em

March 7, 2011 at 10:24 AM delete

Wow. The early returns of this poll are surprisingly ambigious. Without me voting at least thirty four times in the "Only people who like Dudes like this movie" category I'm not sure what the poll would actually say.

I am going to wait to retract my formal complaint until I see a little more data. As someone who is an expert at counting and cataloging all types of sensitive information, I feel I must point out that a) the fact you can vote unlimited times (meaning people like me can skew the vote through patience/diligence/lack of anything better to do) and b) the fact there is no gender check on the vote means that tons of chicks might be voting- both of these make me a little uneasy about the eventual results of this poll.

Regardless, I'm thankful you accepted the challenge and took the democratic solution to this situation. It appears that you are winning out currently, although I will do everything within my power to single-handedly out-vote everyone else who attempts to vote in this poll.

Warmest regards (and props to Emily),

Anxious in Atlanta.

Calley
March 7, 2011 at 3:29 PM delete

When we saw Love Actually in the theaters, my husband really liked it. However, he doesn't like it enough to re-watch it several times every year. I think guys don't hate it.

J4
March 8, 2011 at 1:13 PM delete

I am not afraid to say it... I am a heterosexual male and I love that movie. Along with Forrest Gump and the Fifth Element, its a movie that I will always watch when its on TV (even on TNT with commercials). My only complaint is that Hugh Grant is kind of a douche. Other than that Rick from Walking Dead straight kills it with his poster/caroling routine even if it is a little creepy. Just one man's opinion.

Scott
March 8, 2011 at 4:02 PM delete

Concur with J4. I put Love Actually in the group of movies where, if I come across them on TV, I will start watching immediately, regardless of where in the movie it is, or how recently I've seen it. This group also includes Fifth Element, Die Hard 1 & 4, and Lethal Weapon 1-3 (throw in Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later for the Zombie crowd).

March 9, 2011 at 2:20 PM delete

Dear Anxious in Atlanta,
Withdraw your formal complaint. Also, please step out of your “office” and kindly walk into that intersection that you seem to spend your days staring at in slack-jawed amazement. While I never knew janitors had windows in their closets - that space you mistake as an office - you may need to slowly turn that noggin of yours towards the nearest TV to rewatch Love Actually (Medical Note: I say slowly turn as a quick movement may further disturb or dislodge whatever is left in your bleach-addled skull).
While I do like the movie, it has at least something of interest for even the most gawkish of males (aka you). From boobs and fake blowjobs and even a thunder-thighed secretary getting felt up by Billy Bob Thornton to the cameo by Denise Richards, you must be a fool to say that a “boy/male/man” could not genuinely enjoy the parading across the silver screen (or your 12 inch tube) of fine feminine forms and other such things that appeal to the more prurient interests. I mean, even Charlie Sheen thought Denise Richards was sexy enough to share his tiger blood with.
While you may consider yourself a savant, you are, in fact, just an idiot. Remember, wash your mop before using and a vacuum is not a blowjob machine.
You’re welcome,
The Example

Brad
March 11, 2011 at 5:07 PM delete

I think The Example just obviated the need for any further comments on this post. Good work.